Day 7: Wanaka to Franz Josef
This morning is about exploring Wanaka. How, exactly, is up to you! Optional activities include a flying lesson, skydiving or a lake cruise and nature walk on Mou Waho Island.
If none of those appeal, there are lots of scenic short walks in the area - including a visit to #thatwanakatree. Talk to your guide for the best options.
The journey to Franz is another stunner – many of our Haka Guides rate it as their favourite drive in New Zealand. As we hit the road, we’ll stop at one of our favourite lakeside lookout points at Lake Hawea or Lake Wanaka. Your guide will keep an eye on the weather and pick the best option. From the cascading waterfalls of Haast Pass to classic Kiwi coastal views, you won’t want to nap on the bus in case you miss anything. Your guide will have some epic surprise photo stops and short walks along the way.
We roll into Franz Josef around late afternoon/early evening. This UNESCO World Heritage area is famous for its spectacular glacier, just 5 kilometres from town, which is begging to be explored tomorrow.
- Lake Hawea Lookout
- Haast Pass
- Day 1: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 2: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 3: Christchurch to Mackenzie Country
- Day 4: Mackenzie Country to Queenstown
- Day 5: Queenstown
- Day 6: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 7: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 8: Franz Josef
- Day 9: Franz Josef to Punakaiki
- Day 10: Punakaiki
- Day 11: Punakaiki to Abel Tasman
- Day 12: Abel Tasman
- Day 13: Abel Tasman to Wellington