New Zealand Itinerary 3 Weeks
Everything you expect from a New Zealand 3 week itinerary and then some! Over 23 unforgettable days (and 23 nights) you’ll experience it all: secluded beaches, jaw-dropping scenery, Māori culture, mountainous ranges, lush rainforests and more adventure activities than you could ever tick off your bucket list.
From the idyllic Bay of Islands, through a geothermal wonderland of bubbling mud, traversing mighty mountains and then hiking the blue glacial ice of the wild West Coast, you’ll soon see that New Zealand is filled with many different landscapes and opportunities for adventure!
This small-group guided New Zealand land tour of the North and South Island will visit Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupō, Wellington, Kaikōura, Wanaka, Queenstown, Tekapo (an International Dark Sky Reserve), the Bay of Islands, Abel Tasman National Park, Punakaiki and Franz Josef Glacier, with the option to visit Hobbiton, Waitomo, The Tongariro Crossing and Milford Sound along the way.
As with all our New Zealand land tours, we do include a few 'must-do' events, ranging from a Māori cultural night to learning to paddle a waka (Māori canoe), and even a greenstone carving experience.
You’ll see a massive range of optional activities available to add, from bungy jumping and dolphin encounters to jet boating and scenic flights. None of these are compulsory; just add the ones you want. Book this New Zealand itinerary for 3 weeks of pure adventure!
Epic Tour Tips:
Activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can't always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
As the tour starts early in the morning, you can opt to book accommodation in Auckland with us the night before the tour – only having to walk downstairs on the day the tour starts makes for a stress-free morning!
The tour price includes dorm share accommodation but if you would prefer your own space you have the option to upgrade to a private room for the duration of your tour. You can select this upgrade when you start building your tour online. Please note: private room upgrades are not available for one night on this tour: the cultural experience at Kohutapu Lodge in Murupara.
As our tours are made up of a combination of tours, the composition of your group may change throughout your tour (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch are the hubs where the group may change).
Paddle a waka (Māori canoe) with your Haka group (Included)
Discover the waters in the same way our ancestors did for thousands of years.
Discover Hobbiton (Included)
Discover one of NZ’s most iconic experiences - Hobbiton Movie Set. On a fully guided tour of the 12- acre Middle-earth set you will see Hobbit Holes, the Mill, and even enjoy a drink at the Green Dragon Inn!
Eat a traditional Māori hāngī (Included)
Cooked in an underground oven, this dinner of meat and vegetables is not to be missed.
What's included on every adventure tour:
- Small groups, up to 16 people
- Passionate Kiwi guides
- Comfortable bus transport
- High-end hostel accommodation
- Tasty continental breakfasts every day
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
What's also included on this tour:
- 22 nights in high-end hostel accommodation (dorm share as standard) and 1 night shared cultural experience
- Discover NZ's most spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Areas
- Journey through 7 National Parks
- Visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, the birthplace of New Zealand
- Sundowner Cruise aboard a catamaran in the Bay of Islands (summer only - we'll provide a surprise activity in winter)
- Feast on a fish and chips dinner with spectacular Bay of Islands views
- Explore Northland’s East Coast, peppered with stunning beaches and coastal walks
- Stunning walk to the spectacular arched cavern of Coromandel’s Cathedral Cove
- Dig your own hot tub at world famous Hot Water Beach
- A guided visit to the filming location of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy, Hobbiton
- Learn a haka and learn to weave flax with a local iwi (tribe)
- Visit Te Puia - a local cultural centre - to learn more about traditional Māori culture and discover Rotorua’s geothermal wonders
- See kiwi birds up close and personal
- Eat a traditional Māori hāngī meal cooked in an underground oven
- Follow your nose to Rotorua’s bubbling mud pools
- Discover what makes Huka Falls the most visited natural attraction in NZ
- Check out the views from Matairangi/Mount Victoria, Wellington
- Fall in love with Wellington’s cafe and craft beer culture
- Iconic ferry ride between the North and South Islands across the Cook Strait
- Get up close to Kaikōura’s cutest residents at a local seal colony
- Explore downtown Christchurch and see its inspiring regeneration since the 2011 quake
- Visit the tiny Church of the Good Shepherd, nestled by the shores of Lake Tekapo
- Unparalleled stargazing opportunities in Tekapo’s Dark Sky Reserve
- Visit the charming, historic gold rush village of Arrowtown
- Carve your own pounamu (greenstone/jade) pendant in Franz Josef
- Discover the beauty and history of pounamu in Hokitika, the greenstone capital of the country
- Visit the famous Pancake Rocks of Punakaiki
- Two nights and a full day to play in the coastal paradise of Abel Tasman National Park
- Learn to paddle a waka (Māori war canoe) along the Abel Tasman coastline
- Plus many surprise stops along the way
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
Epic NZ Tour
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
CHANCE TO WIN A HAKA TOUR!
Take our quiz to see which tour suits you best and be in to win!* *T&Cs apply
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 60 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 60 days before departure.
FAQ - Epic NZ Tour
Legendary NZ Tour
Our Legendary Tour lives up to its name, with stupendous scenery, bucket loads of adventure and eye-opening cultural experiences.View tour
Amplified NZ Tour
Discover the best of the North and South Island. Tours run from Auckland to Christchurch, or Christchurch to Auckland.View tour
Backyard Beauties Tour
Starting and ending in Wellington, you'll explore the best of New Zealand as we travel though these Southern highlights including the West Coast & Queenstown’s adventure playground.View tour