Tour The Best of the North Island & Some South Island Highlights
A sample platter of North and the South Island highlights – you’ll get a great overview of New Zealand’s scenic wonders on this tour. From Auckland, we’ll visit beautiful Coromandel and Raglan beaches; the thermal wonderland of Rotorua and Taupo; stop in at Tongariro National Park; enjoy vibrant Wellington before crossing the Cook Strait from the North Island and on to the South Island wine region of Marlborough; then to the whale-watching mecca of Kaikoura before ending in Christchurch. Or – vice versa! – you can also take this tour from Christchurch to Auckland.
From cultural activities to adrenaline-pumping adventures to sights you’ll have to see to believe, Haka Plus Tours are the best, most relaxed way to see Aotearoa New Zealand. We always like to showcase the indigenous Maori culture, so we include a cultural performance at a living Maori village within this tour. You can also learn about Māori traditions at an optional bone pendant carving session.
This tour includes special activities such as walking to the spectacular and photogenic Cathedral Cove, a traditional Māori meal, and a walk amidst towering – and magically lit – treetops and the ‘most scenic ferry crossing in the world’. You can also choose to select some tour add-ons such as hiking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing – otherwise known as Mordor, kayaking to a natural hot pool, visiting an offshore eco-sanctuary, visiting Hobbiton, having a surf lesson, or viewing whales on a whale watching flight!
New Zealand is known for being home to many different adventures, so be sure to make the most of your chance to swim, kayak, surf, cave tube, white-water raft, bungy jump, skydive, hike, bike, luge, see kiwis (and whales, dolphins, seals and albatrosses), relax in hot pools, and even fly over an active marine volcano!
Pack in as many or as few of the activities on offer – this is your tour, and we want you to have a great time! The tour includes some must-dos, but when it comes to things like bungy jumping and mountain hiking, we leave the choice up to you.
At the end of the day, you can relax in comfortable 3–4 star accommodation to ensure you have a great night’s sleep ready for the following day’s activities.
Visit an Offshore Ecological Sanctuary (Guide Pick)
Spend time on a forested island surrounded by rare and endangered birds, learn about the significant history and ecology of this area.
A Sunset Cruise with an Iconic Dinner (Included)
View the tranquil beauty of the upper reaches of Raglan’s coastline onboard a twin-hulled yacht.
Take on One of the World’s Top 10 Marine Experiences (Add On)
Snorkel with wild New Zealand fur seals in the shallow waters of the beautiful Kaikoura Peninsula.
What's included on every Haka Plus tour:
- Small groups, up to 11 people
- Passionate Kiwi guides
- Comfortable bus transport
- Stay each night in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
What's also included on this tour:
- Feast on 6 continental breakfasts and 2 dinners, including a traditional Māori hāngī cooked in an underground oven
- Walk a stunning coastal track to Cathedral Cove (as seen in the Chronicles of Narnia movies)
- Ride one of the most scenic ferry journeys in the world, the Cook Strait Interislander
- Watch a Māori cultural performance and check out a geothermal valley of bubbling mud pools including the famous Pōhutu Geyser in Rotorua
- See endangered kiwi birds up close and personal
- Soak up a sunset cruise in the West Coast surf town of Raglan – the fish and chips are on us
- Brave the Redwoods Treewalk, crossing 23 raised suspension bridges
- Hike through the forested gorge of Ruakuri – bring your camera for this one
- Check out the Te Waihou Springs Walkway, often overlooked by tourists
- Stay in Tongariro National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Area
- Taste some of the world’s best sauvignon blanc at a Marlborough wine tasting
- Plus, many more surprise stops along the way!
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 45 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 45 days before departure.
FAQ - Wanderer
An unrushed exploration of the North Island’s top attractions including the Coromandel, Tongariro National Park, Rotorua & Wellington.View tour
Take in significant Southern highlights & must-do activities: mountains, lakes, glaciers, pristine rainforest & the world famous TranzAlpine rail journey.View tour
Visit Queenstown, Wanaka, glaciers & rainforests then see more of the South Island on the world famous TranzAlpine rail journey.View tour
You love our tours
I did the 16 day Amplified tour with Lizzie from February 18th to March 5th. It was a fabulous tour at max capacity of 16 guests yet Lizzie regularly went out of her way to ensure as many folks as possible were doing activities which took lots of planning & wo...
Unforgettable Experience. NZ is a great country to visit, the tour was well organised and the tour guide (Andy aka "Baby Jesus") was excellent.
Amazing tour! I had the best trip, hands down. Haka Tours was just great. Baby J was the best tour guide I could've hoped for :)
LIFE ON THE PLUS SIDE
Want to be featured here? Simply tag your Insta pics with #hakatours