Tour The Best of the North Island & Some South Island Highlights
A sample platter of North and the South Island highlights – you’ll get a great overview of New Zealand’s scenic wonders on this tour. From Auckland, we’ll visit beautiful Coromandel and Raglan beaches; the thermal wonderland of Rotorua and Taupo; stop in at Tongariro National Park; enjoy vibrant Wellington before crossing the Cook Strait from the North Island and on to the South Island wine region of Marlborough; then to the whale-watching mecca of Kaikoura before ending in Christchurch. Or – vice versa! – you can also take this tour from Christchurch to Auckland.
Created for travellers in their mid-thirties and upwards, Haka Plus Tours are the best, most relaxed way to see Aotearoa New Zealand. We always like to showcase the indigenous Maori culture, so we include a cultural performance at a living Maori village within this tour. You can also learn about Māori traditions at an optional bone pendant carving session.
This tour includes special activities such as walking to the spectacular and photogenic Cathedral Cove, a traditional Māori meal, and a walk amidst towering – and magically lit – treetops and the ‘most scenic ferry crossing in the world’. You can also choose to select some tour add-ons such as hiking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing – otherwise known as Mordor, kayaking to a natural hot pool, visiting an offshore eco-sanctuary, visiting Hobbiton, having a surf lesson, or viewing whales on a whale watching flight!
New Zealand is known for being home to many different adventures, so be sure to make the most of your chance to swim, kayak, skydive, hike, see kiwis (and whales, dolphins, seals and albatrosses), relax in hot pools, and even fly over an active marine volcano!
Pack in as many or as few of the activities on offer – this is your tour, and we want you to have a great time! The tour includes some must-dos, but when it comes to things like bungy jumping and mountain hiking, we leave the choice up to you.
At the end of the day, you can relax in comfortable 3–4 star accommodation to ensure you have a great night’s sleep ready for the following day’s activities.
Visit an Offshore Ecological Sanctuary (Guide Pick)
Spend time on a forested island surrounded by rare and endangered birds, learn about the significant history and ecology of this area.
A Sunset Cruise with an Iconic Dinner (Included)
View the tranquil beauty of the upper reaches of Raglan’s coastline onboard a twin-hulled yacht.
Take on One of the World’s Top 10 Marine Experiences (Add On)
Snorkel with wild New Zealand fur seals in the shallow waters of the beautiful Kaikoura Peninsula.
What's included on every Haka Plus tour:
- Passionate and knowledgeable local Kiwi guide
- Comfortable and air-conditioned bus transport
- Orientation tour of each and every location
- Small groups of maximum 16 people
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
- Stay each night in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
What's also included on this tour:
- Stay 11 nights in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels and lodges.
- Feast on 6 continental breakfasts and 2 dinners, including a traditional Māori hāngī cooked in an underground oven.
- Walk a stunning coastal track to Cathedral Cove (as seen in the Chronicles of Narnia movies).
- Ride one of the most scenic ferry journeys in the world, over the Cook Strait.
- Watch a Māori cultural performance and check out a geothermal valley of bubbling mud pools including the famous Pōhutu Geyser in Rotorua.
- See endangered kiwi birds up close and personal.
- Soak up a sunset boat cruise in the West Coast surf town of Raglan – the fish and chips are on us!
- Brave the Redwoods Treewalk, crossing 23 raised suspension bridges.
- Hike through the forested gorge of Ruakuri (45 minutes) – bring your camera for this one.
- Stay in Tongariro National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Area.
- Taste some of the world’s best sauvignon blanc at a Marlborough wine tasting.
- Plus, many more surprise stops along the way!
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
WHY CHOOSE HAKA PLUS?
Learn about the differences between this tour and our classic Adventure tours. Click here >
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 45 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 45 days before departure.
FAQ - Wanderer
Visit Queenstown, Wanaka, glaciers & rainforests then see more of the South Island on the world famous TranzAlpine rail journey.View tour
New Zealand Uncovered
Uncover all the beauty, adventure, culture and fun activities of New Zealand and tick practically everything off your bucket list.View tour
An unrushed exploration of the North Island’s top attractions including the Coromandel, Tongariro National Park, Rotorua & Wellington.View tour
You love our tours
Don’t give it a second thought- visit NZ and sign up for a Haka Tour!!! I just got back from the South Island Haka tour and definitely have to say it was one of the best vacations ever. Our tour guide, Baby J, was incredibly chill and organized. The trip was e...
My first solo trip was memorable thanks to haka tours. I went on the 16 day amplified tour with guide Baby J aka Andy. The inclusions were action packed from hiking to just chilling carving a jade pendant (actually a bit of a highlight). I didn’t do a lot of a...
Had an amazing time seeing snow for the first time and learning to snow board.our guide Mike was exceptional and very friendly.the highlight of the trip was learning about the Wanaka tree which is one of the great wonders of the world
LIFE ON THE PLUS SIDE
Want to be featured here? Simply tag your Insta pics with #hakatours