Day 5: Wellington to National Park
This morning is your last chance to soak up Wellington – hit Cuba Street for brunch or take a quick stroll around the City Gallery, perhaps? Then it’s time to hop on the bus again, for the drive up north to Tongariro National Park.
Our drive will take us through all kinds of scenery, from rolling hills to the spectacular peaks of the North Island’s volcanic plateau – Ruapehu, Ngauruhoe and Tongariro. If some of the mountains look familiar, it’s for good reason – Mount Ngauruhoe gained international fame as the real life version of Mount Doom in Lord of the Rings.
We finish our day nestled in Tongariro National Park, where we’ll spend the next 2 nights, home to one of the 10 best one-day walks in the world – the Tongariro Crossing.
Mount Victoria Lookout
- Day 1: Christchurch
- Day 2: Christchurch to Kaikōura
- Day 3: Kaikōura to Wellington
- Day 4: Wellington
- Day 5: Wellington to National Park
- Day 6: National Park
- Day 7: National Park to Rotorua (via Taupō)
- Day 8: Rotorua
- Day 9: Rotorua to Raglan (via Waitomo)
- Day 10: Raglan to Coromandel
- Day 11: Coromandel to Auckland
- Day 12: Auckland