South Island New Zealand Itinerary 12 Days
Welcome to the 12 Day Southern Explorer Haka Plus Tour!
You’re never far from either the sea or the mountains on this New Zealand South Island 2 week itinerary as you cross the Cook Strait from Wellington, the nation’s capital, to the quaint town of Picton in the beautiful Marlborough Sounds. From here you venture into the heart of the majestic Southern Alps and on to the adventure playground of Queenstown.
Created for travellers in their mid-thirties and upwards, over the course of your week and a half tour you’ll travel through some of the most magical scenery you could hope to see. National Parks, rainforests, mountain ranges, UNESCO World Heritage Areas… everywhere you turn, there’s something different to behold.
This New Zealand South Island 2 week itinerary includes special activities such as one of the world’s most scenic train as well as one of the world’s most scenic ferry journeys, a scenic e-bike experience, a night of glamping and the opportunity to carve your own greenstone pendant.
You’ll have the opportunity to swim, kayak, skydive, hike, horse ride, see kiwis (and whales and dolphins), relax in hot pools, eat and drink like a local, and more!
But only if you want to; this is your trip. It’s designed to be flexible – we include some high-end essentials, but let you make the call on what kind of activities appeal to you. You can pre-book the things you are certain you want to do before the trip starts – and then add more on while you’re on tour.
We'll fill your days with the best things to see and do in the South Island and also give you a great insight into New Zealand life and culture. At the end of the day, you can relax in comfortable 3–4 star accommodation to ensure you have a great night’s sleep ready for the following day’s activities.
Book this New Zealand itinerary for 12 days of fun and adventure in the South Island today!
e-Bike through Wanaka’s Iconic Scenery
Included in this tour is a scenic e-bike experience through Wanaka. Just beautiful!
One of the world’s most scenic Rail Journeys
Take in the stunning Southern Alps and the vast Canterbury Plains aboard the TranzAlpine train.
A Night of Glamping Under Southern Stars
Luxury camping experience on a historic farm surrounded by breathtaking scenery and enjoying high country hospitality.
What's included on every Haka Plus tour:
- Passionate and knowledgeable local Kiwi guide
- Comfortable and air-conditioned bus transport
- Orientation tour of each and every location
- Small groups of maximum 16 people
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
- Stay each night in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
What's also included on this tour:
- Stay 11 nights in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
- Feast on 6 continental breakfasts and 2 dinners.
- Ride one of the most scenic ferry journeys in the world, over the Cook Strait
- Take in the stunning Southern Alps and the vast Canterbury Plains aboard the TranzAlpine, New Zealand’s finest inland rail journey.
- Taste some of the world’s best sauvignon blanc at a Marlborough wine tasting.
- Spend one night at Oasis Yurts, Wanaka - the perfect place to relax, unwind and reconnect in the natural environment.
- Cruise through Wanaka on a scenic e-bike (bicycle with electric motor) experience.
- Carve your own pounamu (jade) pendant in Franz Josef.
- Plus, many more surprise stops along the way!
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
WHY CHOOSE HAKA PLUS?
Learn about the differences between this tour and our classic Adventure tours. Click here >
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 45 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 45 days before departure.
FAQ - Southern Explorer
A sample platter of North and the South Island highlights including the Coromandel, Tongariro, Rotorua, Kaikoura & Christchurch.View tour
New Zealand Uncovered
Uncover all the beauty, adventure, culture and fun activities of New Zealand and tick practically everything off your bucket list.View tour
New Zealand Nature Tour
This small group German-speaking tour showcases the best of New Zealand’s nature: discover flora and fauna, native bird life, rainforests, geysers, lonely mountain roads, river valleys, glaciers, and wild coasts as you travel from Auckland to Christchurch (or reverse) over three weeks.View tour
LIFE ON THE PLUS SIDE
Want to be featured here? Simply tag your Insta pics with #hakatours