Day 3: Kaikōura to Christchurch
The chance to encounter dolphins in the wild is a massive New Zealand highlight for many travellers, and Kaikōura is one of the best places to find them, with pods of up to 300 of these playful creatures hanging out here at any one time.
If you want to get up close to the giants of the ocean, a whale watching tour here is the way to do it. Humpbacks, sperm whales and orca all stop by at various times of year, so this is a great chance to meet some of them.
After visiting the local seals on our way out of town, our road trip continues to our home for the night – Christchurch, known as the “Garden City” for its peaceful parklands and lazy rivers.
- Day 1: Wellington
- Day 2: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 3: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 4: Christchurch to Ohau (via Lake Tekapo)
- Day 5: Ohau to Queenstown
- Day 6: Queenstown
- Day 7: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 8: Wanaka
- Day 9: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 10: Franz Josef
- Day 11: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 12: Christchurch