Day 9: Wanaka to Franz Josef
After a relaxing morning in Wanaka, the journey to Franz is another stunner – many of our Haka Guides rate it as their most favourite drive in New Zealand.
As we hit the road, we’ll stop at one of our most popular lakeside lookout points at Lake Hawea or Lake Wanaka. Your guide will keep an eye on the weather and pick the best option.
From the cascading waterfalls of Haast Pass to classic Kiwi coastal views, you won’t want to nap on the bus in case you miss anything. Your guide will have some epic surprise photo stops and short walks along the way.
We roll into Franz Josef around late afternoon/early evening. This UNESCO World Heritage area is famous for its spectacular glacier, just 5km from town, which is begging to be explored tomorrow.
- Blue Pools Walkway - currently closed (your guide will find an alternative walk)
- Day 1: Wellington
- Day 2: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 3: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 4: Christchurch to Ohau (via Lake Tekapo)
- Day 5: Ohau to Queenstown
- Day 6: Queenstown
- Day 7: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 8: Wanaka
- Day 9: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 10: Franz Josef
- Day 11: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 12: Christchurch