Day 10: Christchurch to Kaikōura
Rise and shine! Our destination is Kaikōura which literally means “to eat crayfish” – and the area is teeming with them. The nutrient-rich waters of this area attract a wide variety of marine wildlife including the stars of the show – the whales and dolphins.
The chance to swim with dolphins in the wild is a massive New Zealand highlight for many travellers, and Kaikōura is one of the best places to find them, with pods of up to 300 of these playful creatures hanging out here at any one time.
If you want to get up close to the giants of the ocean, a whale watching tour here is the way to do it. Humpbacks, sperm whales and orca all stop by at various times of year, so this is a great chance to meet some of them.
- Day 1: Christchurch
- Day 2: Christchurch to Ohau (via Lake Tekapo)
- Day 3: Ohau to Queenstown
- Day 4: Queenstown
- Day 5: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 6: Wanaka
- Day 7: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 8: Franz Josef
- Day 9: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 10: Christchurch to Kaikōura
- Day 11: Kaikōura to Wellington
- Day 12: Wellington