New Zealand Three Week Itinerary
We’re often asked what’s the difference between the North and South Islands of New Zealand – well, here’s your chance to find out! We’ll visit all the highlights: secluded beaches, glacier-fed lakes, Māori villages, mountainous ranges, lush rainforests and more adventure activities than you can imagine!
The North Island is filled with surprising contrasts: from the idyllic Coromandel where you can soak in a hot pool dug in the sand, venture through a geothermal wonderland of geysers, take a side-trip to Middle Earth-esque countryside, have underground adventures in caves lit by glow worms, and admire lush rainforests and even a volcanic desert – you’ll be amazed by it all.
But wait! There’s still the South Island to explore! Sailing between islands, you’ll get a grand entrance into this magnificent part of the world where you’ll get to enjoy marine wildlife, an epic adventure playground, visit the home of bungy, traverse mighty mountain passes, explore glacier country and then forge golden memories in the Abel Tasman area.
This small-group guided New Zealand itinerary covers three weeks of adventure across the North and South Islands, visiting the Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupō, Wellington, Kaikōura, Wanaka, Queenstown, Tekapo (an International Dark Sky Reserve), Abel Tasman National Park, Punakaiki and Franz Josef Glacier, with the option to visit Hobbiton, Waitomo, The Tongariro Crossing and Milford Sound along the way.
As with all our tours, we do include a few 'must-do' events across this New Zealand three week itinerary, ranging from a Māori cultural night to learning to paddle a waka (Māori war canoe), and even a greenstone carving experience.
You’ ll see a massive range of optional activities available to add, from bungy jumping and dolphin encounter to jet boating and scenic flights. None of these are compulsory; just add the ones you want.
Accommodation is included on the last night of your tour, but we can also book a few extra nights for you if you would like to extend your stay.
Legendary Tour Tips:
Activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can't always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
As the tour starts early in the morning, you can opt to book accommodation in Auckland with us the night before the tour – only having to walk downstairs on the day the tour starts makes for a stress-free morning!
The tour price includes dorm share accommodation but if you would prefer your own space you have the option to upgrade to a private room for the duration of your tour. You can select this upgrade when you start building your tour online.
Please note: private room upgrades are not available for one night on this tour: the cultural experience at Kohutapu Lodge in Murupara.
Learn the haka and taste a hangi (Included)
On tour you’ll learn about Maori culture, hear legends and carve a greenstone pendant.
Visit the famous Pancake Rocks in Punakaiki (Included)
This rock formation - fondly known as the 'pancake rocks' - was formed over 30 million years ago.
Stay in an International Dark Sky Reserve (Included)
We’ll stay a night in South Island region remarkable for its incredibly clear starry nights.
What's included on every adventure tour:
- Small groups, up to 16 people
- Passionate Kiwi guides
- Comfortable bus transport
- High-end hostel accommodation
- Tasty continental breakfasts every day
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
What's also included on this tour:
- 19 nights in high-end hostel accommodation (dorm share as standard) and 1 night shared cultural experience
- Stunning walk to the spectacular arched cavern of Coromandel’s Cathedral Cove
- Learn a haka and learn to weave flax with a local iwi (tribe)
- Visit Te Puia - a local cultural centre - to learn more about traditional Māori culture and discover Rotorua’s geothermal wonders
- See kiwi birds up close and personal
- Eat a traditional Māori hāngī meal cooked in an underground oven
- Follow your nose to Rotorua’s bubbling mud pools
- Discover what makes Huka Falls the most visited natural attraction in NZ
- Check out the views from Matairangi/Mount Victoria, Wellington
- Fall in love with Wellington’s cafe and craft beer culture
- Iconic ferry ride between the North and South Islands across the Cook Strait
- Get up close to Kaikōura’s cutest residents at a local seal colony
- Explore downtown Christchurch and see its inspiring regeneration since the 2011 quake
- Visit the tiny Church of the Good Shepherd, nestled by the shores of Lake Tekapo
- Unparalleled stargazing opportunities in Tekapo’s Dark Sky Reserve
- Visit the charming, historic gold rush village of Arrowtown
- Carve your own pounamu (jade) pendant in Franz Josef
- Visit the Mountain Jade Factory in Hokitika
- Visit the famous Pancake Rocks of Punakaiki
- Two nights and a full day to play in the coastal paradise of Abel Tasman National Park
- Learn to paddle a waka (Māori war canoe) along the Abel Tasman coastline
- Plus many surprise stops along the way
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
Legendary NZ Tour
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
Lights! Camera! Action!
Don't miss out on your spot in Aotearoa's best summer movie.
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 45 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 45 days before departure.
FAQ - Legendary NZ Tour
Coasts & Culture Tour
Enjoy adventure activities, incredible scenery and fascinating Māori culture as we show you the highlights between Auckland to Wellington.View tour
South Island Lick Tour
A week with wow factor! Tick off iconic South Island destinations with unbeatable scenery and a large dose of adventure.View tour
Amplified NZ Tour
Discover the best of the North and South Island. Tours run from Auckland to Christchurch, or Christchurch to Auckland.View tour
TASTE THE ADVENTURE
Want to be featured here? Simply tag your Insta pics with #hakatours