Day 14: Wanaka to Franz Josef
This morning is about exploring Wanaka. How, exactly, is up to you! Optional activities include a flying lesson, skydiving, a bike tour along Wanaka’s lakeside, or a lake cruise and nature walk on Mou Waho Island.
If none of those appeal, there are lots of scenic short walks in the area – including a visit to #thatwanakatree. Talk to your guide for the best options.
The journey to Franz is another stunner – many of our Haka Guides rate it as their favourite drive in New Zealand.
As we hit the road, we’ll stop at one of our top lakeside lookout points at Lake Hawea or Lake Wanaka. Your guide will keep an eye on the weather and pick the best option.
From the cascading waterfalls of Haast Pass to classic Kiwi coastal views, you won’t want to nap on the bus in case you miss anything. Your guide will have some epic surprise photo stops and short walks along the way.
We roll into Franz Josef around late afternoon/early evening. This UNESCO World Heritage area is famous for its spectacular glacier, just 5 kilometres from town, which is begging to be explored tomorrow.
- Lake Hawea Lookout
- Haast Pass
- Day 1: Auckland to Coromandel
- Day 2: Coromandel to Rotoroa
- Day 3: Rotoroa
- Day 4: Rotorua to Murupara
- Day 5: Murupara to Taupō
- Day 6: Taupō
- Day 7: Taupō to Wellington
- Day 8: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 9: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 10: Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
- Day 11: MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
- Day 12: Queenstown
- Day 13: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 14: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 15: Franz Josef
- Day 16: Franz Josef to Punakaiki
- Day 17: Punakaiki
- Day 18: Punakaiki to Abel Tasman
- Day 19: Abel Tasman
- Day 20: Abel Tasman to Wellington