Day 17: Punakaiki
Whether you decide to soak up the sun on the unspoilt beaches or stroll through the rainforest to a chorus of birdsong, you’ll shed your cares in this magical place.
A short walk to see a giant stack of pancakes is a must-do: Punakaiki’s limestone Pancake Rocks developed over 30 million years ago. You’ll see what water pressure can do when the waves power through some seriously impressive blowholes – watch out for that spray!
Today you could try your hand at surfing or exploring the region’s underground caves by tube. Or simply chill by the beach near your rainforest home.
On a clear night, head to the beach with your buddies and watch the stars come out to play – seriously, is there a better way to end the day?
- Stay in a rainforest retreat
- Day 1: Auckland to Coromandel
- Day 2: Coromandel to Rotoroa
- Day 3: Rotoroa
- Day 4: Rotorua to Murupara
- Day 5: Murupara to Taupō
- Day 6: Taupō
- Day 7: Taupō to Wellington
- Day 8: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 9: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 10: Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
- Day 11: MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
- Day 12: Queenstown
- Day 13: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 14: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 15: Franz Josef
- Day 16: Franz Josef to Punakaiki
- Day 17: Punakaiki
- Day 18: Punakaiki to Abel Tasman
- Day 19: Abel Tasman
- Day 20: Abel Tasman to Wellington