Day 13: Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
This morning we’ll explore iconic downtown Christchurch and your guide will show you the cool and creative ways the city is being rebuilt after the life-changing 2011 earthquake here. Christchurch folk are an innovative and creative bunch – the Transitional Cathedral, created from cardboard, is totally inspirational.
After lunch we leave the city behind and head for Lake Tekapo. The lake’s breathtaking turquoise colour and mountain backdrop is a photographer’s dream come true.
The tiny Church of the Good Shepherd stands right at the water’s edge, proving that small is definitely beautiful. Grab some confetti and congratulate any passing brides – couples travel from all over the world for wedding shots in front of the chapel!
Tekapo has been declared an International Dark Sky Reserve and the super clear skies make it the best place in New Zealand to see the stars and galaxies on a clear night. Sit back, relax and enjoy.
- Christchurch City Tour
- Visit the Church of the Good Shepherd
- Experience Tekapo’s Dark Sky Reserve
- Day 1: Auckland to Paihia
- Day 2: Paihia
- Day 3: Paihia to Auckland
- Day 4: Auckland to Coromandel
- Day 5: Coromandel to Rotorua
- Day 6: Rotorua
- Day 7: Rotorua to Murupara
- Day 8: Murupara to Taupō
- Day 9: Taupō
- Day 10: Taupō to Wellington
- Day 11: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 12: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 13: Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
- Day 14: MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
- Day 15: Queenstown
- Day 16: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 17: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 18: Franz Josef
- Day 19: Franz Josef to Punakaiki
- Day 20: Punakaiki
- Day 21: Punakaiki to Abel Tasman
- Day 22: Abel Tasman
- Day 23: Abel Tasman to Wellington