Day 17: Wanaka to Franz Josef
This morning is about exploring Wanaka. How, exactly, is up to you! Optional activities include a flying lesson, skydiving, a bike tour along Wanaka’s lakeside, or a lake cruise and nature walk on Mou Waho Island.
If none of those appeal, there are lots of scenic short walks in the area – including a visit to #thatwanakatree. Talk to your guide for the best options.
The journey to Franz is another stunner – many of our Haka Guides rate it as their favourite drive in New Zealand.
As we hit the road, we’ll stop at one of our top lakeside lookout points at Lake Hawea or Lake Wanaka. Your guide will keep an eye on the weather and pick the best option.
From the cascading waterfalls of Haast Pass to classic Kiwi coastal views, you won’t want to nap on the bus in case you miss anything. Your guide will have some epic surprise photo stops and short walks along the way.
We roll into Franz Josef around late afternoon/early evening. This UNESCO World Heritage area is famous for its spectacular glacier, just 5 kilometres from town, which is begging to be explored tomorrow.
- Lake Hawea Lookout
- Haast Pass
- Day 1: Auckland to Paihia
- Day 2: Paihia
- Day 3: Paihia to Auckland
- Day 4: Auckland to Coromandel
- Day 5: Coromandel to Rotorua
- Day 6: Rotorua
- Day 7: Rotorua to Murupara
- Day 8: Murupara to Taupō
- Day 9: Taupō
- Day 10: Taupō to Wellington
- Day 11: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 12: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 13: Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
- Day 14: MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
- Day 15: Queenstown
- Day 16: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 17: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 18: Franz Josef
- Day 19: Franz Josef to Punakaiki
- Day 20: Punakaiki
- Day 21: Punakaiki to Abel Tasman
- Day 22: Abel Tasman
- Day 23: Abel Tasman to Wellington