Day 17: Wanaka to Franz Josef
After a relaxing morning in Wanaka, the journey to Franz is an another stunner – many of our Haka Guides rate it as their favourite drive in New Zealand.
As we hit the road, we’ll stop at one of our favourite lakeside lookout points at Lake Hawea or Lake Wanaka. Your guide will keep an eye on the weather and pick the best option.
From the cascading waterfalls of Haast Pass to classic Kiwi coastal views, you won’t want to nap on the bus in case you miss anything. Your guide will have some epic surprise photo stops and short walks along the way.
Between September and December it’s whitebait season (a small fish that’s a delicacy in New Zealand). Fried up with eggs and served on toast, it’s a local treat and shouldn’t be missed. We’ll stop at one of the local spots for a taste during the season.
We roll into Franz Josef around late afternoon/early evening. This UNESCO World Heritage area is famous for its spectacular glacier, just 5 kilometres from town, which is begging to be explored tomorrow.
Want to download the tour itinerary? click here
- Day 1: Auckland to Paihia
- Day 2: Paihia
- Day 3: Paihia to Auckland
- Day 4: Auckland to Coromandel
- Day 5: Coromandel to Waitomo
- Day 6: Waitomo to Rotorua
- Day 7: Rotorua to Murupara
- Day 8: Murupara to Taupō
- Day 9: Taupō
- Day 10: Taupō to Wellington
- Day 11: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 12: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 13: Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
- Day 14: MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
- Day 15: Queenstown
- Day 16: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 17: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 18: Franz Josef
- Day 19: Franz Josef to Punakaiki
- Day 20: Punakaiki
- Day 21: Punakaiki to Abel Tasman
- Day 22: Abel Tasman
- Day 23: Abel Tasman to Wellington
- Day 24: Wellington (or optional transfer to Auckland)