Day 12: Taupō to Murupara
After our morning in Taupō we head to Kohutapu Lodge in Murupara - a living Māori village - where you will be taken on a tribal tour by a village elder.
Here you’ll also have a chance to learn the world-famous haka dance, and weave your own dinner plate using flax (a type of plant).
Tonight’s dinner is a traditional hāngi meal. Cooked in an underground earth oven you can expect tender meat and delicious vegetables infused with a smoky, earthy fragrance – it will fill your puku (belly) right up!
The best part about spending the evening at Kohutapu Lodge? The majority of proceeds from this activity go back to the local community.
- Find natural hot springs
- Learn the haka
- Learn to weave flax
- Dinner (a hangi cooked in an underground oven)
Please note: Private accommodation upgrades are not available for this night of the tour due to the limited availability of accommodation in the area. In special circumstances other arrangements may be possible - please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Day 1: Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
- Day 2: MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
- Day 3: Queenstown
- Day 4: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 5: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 6: Franz Josef
- Day 7: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 8: Christchurch to Kaikōura
- Day 9: Kaikōura to Wellington
- Day 10: Wellington to Taupō
- Day 11: Taupō
- Day 12: Taupō to Murupara
- Day 13: Murupara to Rotorua
- Day 14: Rotorua
- Day 15: Rotorua to Coromandel
- Day 16: Coromandel to Auckland