Day 2: MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
This morning if you’re feeling energetic, hike up to the summit of Mt John. With awesome views of the Southern Alps, you’ll feel on top of the world. Speaking of views, today’s scenic drive to Queenstown is a show-stopper.
From the golden tussocklands of Mackenzie country – where epic battles of Return of the King were filmed – to the dramatic peaks of the Southern Alps, it’s like you’re driving into a postcard.
We’ll pause for lots of photo stops en route to give your camera a workout, including a stop at the spectacular Kawarau Gorge. This also happens to be the World Home of Bungy, give it a go or enjoy watching the jumpers scream their way through the gorge!
Whether you’re an adrenaline junkie, an avid hiker, wine taster or scenery lover, Queenstown has something for absolutely everyone. With two nights and plenty of daylight hours here, get ready – this town certainly knows how to live life to the max!
- Hike up Mt John (optional)
- Visit Kawarau Gorge
- Day 1: Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
- Day 2: MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
- Day 3: Queenstown
- Day 4: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 5: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 6: Franz Josef
- Day 7: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 8: Christchurch to Kaikōura
- Day 9: Kaikōura to Wellington
- Day 10: Wellington to Taupō
- Day 11: Taupō
- Day 12: Taupō to Murupara
- Day 13: Murupara to Rotorua
- Day 14: Rotorua
- Day 15: Rotorua to Coromandel
- Day 16: Coromandel to Auckland