One Week New Zealand North Island Itinerary
The North Island is filled with surprising contrasts: from the idyllic Coromandel on the coast where you can soak in a hot pool dug in the sand, venture through a geothermal wonderland of geysers, take a side-trip to Middle Earth-esque countryside, have underground adventures in caves lit by glow worms, and admire lush rainforests and even a volcanic desert – you’ll be amazed by it all.
This small-group guided New Zealand North Island tour will visit Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupō, and Wellington, with the option to visit Hobbiton, Waitomo Glowworm Caves and the Tongariro Crossing along the way. You can choose to travel from Auckland through to Wellington, or take the reverse itinerary.
As with all our tours, we do include a few 'must-do' events including a Māori cultural night and traditional Māori hāngī dinner cooked in an underground oven.
You’ll see a massive range of optional activities available to add to this New Zealand North Island tour package, from bungy jumping and white water rafting to canopy forest zipline tours and scenic flights. None of these are compulsory; just add the ones you want.
Accommodation is included on the last night of your New Zealand North Island trip, but we can also book a few extra nights for you if you would like to extend your stay.
North Island Tour Tips:
Activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can't always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
As the tour starts early in the morning, you can opt to book accommodation in Auckland or Wellington with us the night before the tour – only having to walk downstairs on the day the tour starts makes for a stress-free morning!
The tour price includes dorm share accommodation but if you would prefer your own space you have the option to upgrade to a private room for the duration of your tour. You can select this upgrade when you start building your tour online. Please note: private room upgrades are not available for the one-night shared cultural experience (Murupara).
As our tours are made up of a combination of tours, the composition of your group may change throughout your tour (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch are the hubs where the group may change).
What's included on every adventure tour:
- Small groups, up to 16 people
- Passionate Kiwi guides
- Comfortable bus transport
- High-end hostel accommodation
- Tasty continental breakfasts every day
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
What's also included on this tour:
- 6 nights in high-end hostel accommodation (dorm share as standard) and 1 night shared cultural experience
- Journey through multiple National Parks
- Stunning walk to the spectacular arched cavern of Coromandel’s Cathedral Cove
- A guided visit to the filming location of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy, Hobbiton
- Learn a haka and learn to weave flax with a local iwi (tribe)
- Visit Te Puia – a local arts and culture centre – to learn more about traditional Māori culture and discover Rotorua’s geothermal wonders.
- See kiwi birds up close and personal
- Eat a traditional Māori hāngī meal cooked in an underground oven
- Follow your nose to Rotorua’s bubbling mud pools
- Discover what makes Huka Falls the most visited natural attraction in NZ
- Check out the views from Matairangi/Mount Victoria, Wellington
- Fall in love with Wellington’s cafe and craft beer culture
- Plus many surprise stops along the way
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
Coasts & Culture Tour
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
CHANCE TO WIN A HAKA TOUR!
Take our quiz to see which tour suits you best and be in to win!* *T&Cs apply
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 60 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 60 days before departure.
FAQ - Coasts & Culture Tour
Epic NZ Tour
Discover more of NZ than most New Zealanders, as you thoroughly explore the best of both the North and South Islands.View tour
Legendary NZ Tour
Our Legendary Tour lives up to its name, with stupendous scenery, bucket loads of adventure and eye-opening cultural experiences.View tour
Amplified NZ Tour
Discover the best of the North and South Island. Tours run from Auckland to Christchurch, or Christchurch to Auckland.View tour