Premium New Zealand Coach Tours
Please note that our Haka Plus tour prices have increased from September 2023 onwards. This is for a number of reasons, namely that we have made some exciting accommodation upgrades for extra comfort. We have also added in a few additional included activities that are must-do experiences in New Zealand such as Hobbiton Movie Set Tour in Matamata; Zealandia Eco-sanctuary in Wellington; and Mou Waho Nature Cruise in Wanaka.
Created for travellers in their mid-thirties and upwards, on this New Zealand bus tour you will discover New Zealand’s unmissable highlights in just under three weeks: geothermal wonders, other-wordly glaciers, sublime beaches, lush forests, lofty mountains, secluded swimming spots, UNESCO World Heritage Areas, flora, fauna, heritage and culture.
This 20 day New Zealand Coach Tour includes special activities such as one of the world’s most scenic train journeys, a guided scenic e-bike tour, a traditional Māori meal, and a walk amidst towering – and magically lit – treetops, and a night of glamping. You can also choose to select some tour add-ons such as hiking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, kayaking to a natural hot pool, climbing a glacier, visiting an off-shore eco-sanctuary, visiting Hobbiton, or flying over snow-capped mountains!
You’ll have the chance to swim, kayak, hike a glacier, skydive, see kiwis, relax in hot pools, roll down a hill in a giant ball, eat and drink like a local, and more! This is your trip, and it’s designed to be flexible. The choice is yours – pick the activities that appeal to you.
We'll fill your days with the best things to see in do in the North Island and the South Island and also give you a great insight into New Zealand life and culture. At the end of the day, you can relax in comfortable 3–4 star accommodation to ensure you have a great night’s sleep ready for the following day’s activities.
On this tour you’ll encounter an array of landscapes: lush, green rolling hills; beautiful golden sand beaches, tumbling waterfalls, geothermal valleys filled with bubbling mud and sulphuric lakes, magnificent mountains, icy glaciers, jurassic rainforests, cosy laid-back surf towns and vibrant cities. Prepare your camera and get ready to make some magical memories!
Please note: private room upgrades are not available for two nights on this tour: the glamping experience in Wanaka where accommodation is twin or triple-share only.
As our tours are made up of a combination of tours, the composition of your group may change throughout your tour (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch are the hubs where the group may change).
A Night of Glamping Under Southern Stars
Luxury camping experience surrounded by breathtaking scenery and enjoying high country hospitality.
Brave the Redwoods Treewalk
Experience the majestic Redwoods Forest from high above as you journey across 23 raised suspension bridges.
An Unmissable Māori Cultural Experience and Hāngi
You’ll visit a living Māori village within a geothermal area for an evening of performances featuring the breathtaking haka.
Kia ora! Welcome to your best ever vacation! Settle into your accommodation, meet your guide and new tour friends and get a tour briefing.
Auckland to Coromandel
As we drive to the picture-perfect Coromandel, you’ll get a great introduction to New Zealand’s famed natural beauty. You can explore by kayak or enjoy a hot pool soak.
Coromandel to Raglan
We head west to relaxed Raglan where beginners and experienced surfers can sample the surf breaks before we enjoy a meal of fish & chips on a sunset harbour cruise.
Raglan to Rotorua (via Waitomo and Matamata)
Explore the fascinating Waitomo Caves – world famous for its millions of glowworm inhabitants. We’ll take an evening stroll through a magically lit forest.
Opt to take a flight over snow-capped mountains, hike a volcanic crater, or brave white water rapids. Tonight we visit a Māori village for an unforgettable cultural performance and earth-cooked meal.
Rotorua to National Park (via Taupō)
Today’s your chance to skydiving! We’ll leave the sulphur smells behind as we head south, visiting bubbling mud pools, a giant lake and thundering waterfalls en route.
Spend all day in this UNESCO World Heritage Area with an option to hike the Tongariro Crossing – considered one of the world’s top 10 best one-day walks.
National Park to Wellington
We’ll leave the mountains through landscapes familiar to Lord of the Rings fans and head south towards vibrant Wellington where craft beer lovers will be very happy.
Explore Wellington’s picturesque waterfront, visit Te Papa, spend some time with Weta Workshop’s imaginative artisans or surround yourself with birdsong at an ecosanctuary.
Wellington to Kaikōura
We travel to the South Island via one of the most scenic ferry journeys in the world and we’ll toast our arrival in Marlborough by sampling some world-class wines – Cheers!
Kaikōura to Christchurch
Dolphins! Seals! Whales! They all like to play around Kaikōura’s waters. There are many ways to have a marine wildlife encounter: swim, kayak or keep your camera dry and fly!
Christchurch to Ohau (via Lake Tekapo)
We’ll visit some Christchurch city highlights before heading inland for panoramic views of Lake Tekapo. Tonight we stay on the outskirts of an International Dark Sky Reserve.
Ohau to Queenstown
Soak up the dramatic Southern Alps scenery as we make our way to Queenstown, We’ll pause at Kawarau Gorge – the world home of bungy – will you take the leap?
This is your chance to cross off some NZ must-do items: 4-wheel driving through Lord of the Rings film locations or visit iconically beautiful Milford Sound.
Queenstown to Wanaka
More bucket list activities in the morning, set off to Queenstown’s slightly quieter little sister, Wanaka, in the afternoon.
Breathe in the alpine air, admire the surrounding beauty then choose your own Wanaka adventure (perhaps an island cruise and nature walk) before dinner.
Wanaka to Franz Josef
Today’s drive is packed with mountains, lakes, and rainforests before we arrive into the World Heritage area famous for its glaciers. A rainforest retreat is our home for the next two nights.
There are so many ways to discover Franz Josef: skydive, heli-hike, take an ice climb or kayak glacial lakes. Today you’ll also carve your own pounamu (jade) pendant.
Franz Josef to Christchurch
Enjoy our last spectacular road trip that will end at the start of one the world’s top rail journeys: the TranzAlpine Express will take us through Arthur’s Pass to Christchurch.
You’ve seen and experienced so much of New Zealand! Share highlights, photos, email addresses and memories with your new friends over breakfast before parting ways.
What's included on every Haka Plus tour:
- Passionate and knowledgeable local Kiwi guide
- Comfortable and air-conditioned bus transport
- Orientation tour of each and every location
- Small groups of maximum 16 people
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
- Stay each night in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
What's also included on this tour:
- 19 nights in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, lodges, glamping and rainforest retreats.
- Feast on daily hearty breakfasts and 4 dinners, including a traditional Māori hāngī cooked in an underground oven.
- Walk a stunning coastal track to Cathedral Cove (as seen in the Chronicles of Narnia movies).
- A fully guided tour of Hobbiton Movie Set (available on tours starting from 1 September 2023).
- Ride one of the most scenic ferry journeys in the world, over the Cook Strait.
- Take in the stunning Southern Alps and the vast Canterbury Plains aboard the TranzAlpine, New Zealand’s finest inland rail journey.
- Watch a Māori cultural performance and check out a geothermal valley of bubbling mud pools including the famous Pōhutu Geyser in Rotorua.
- See endangered kiwi birds up close and personal.
- Soak up a sunset boat cruise in the West Coast surf town of Raglan – the fish and chips are on us!
- Brave the Redwoods Treewalk, crossing 23 raised suspension bridges.
- Hike through the forested gorge of Ruakuri (45 minutes) – bring your camera for this one.
- Stay in Tongariro National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Area.
- Discover rare animal species tour of Zealandia Nature Reserve in Wellington (available on tours starting from 1 September 2023).
- Taste some of the world’s best sauvignon blanc at a Marlborough wine tasting.
- Cruise through Wanaka on a scenic e-bike (bicycle with electric motor) experience (available on tours starting before 1 September 2023).
- Enjoy a boat cruise on Lake Wanaka to the remote Mou Waho Island nature reserve (available on tours starting from 1 September 2023).
- Carve your own pounamu (jade) pendant in Franz Josef.
- Plus, many more surprise stops along the way!
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
Optional accommodation upgrades and add-ons for this trip:
New Zealand Uncovered
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
WHY CHOOSE HAKA PLUS?
Learn about the differences between this tour and our classic Adventure tours. Click here >
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 45 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 45 days before departure.
FAQ - New Zealand Uncovered
A sample platter of North and the South Island highlights including the Coromandel, Tongariro, Rotorua, Kaikōura & Christchurch.View tour
Visit Queenstown, Wanaka, glaciers & rainforests then see more of the South Island on the world famous TranzAlpine rail journey.View tour
New Zealand Nature Tour
This small group German-speaking tour showcases the best of New Zealand’s nature: discover flora and fauna, native bird life, rainforests, geysers, lonely mountain roads, river valleys, glaciers, and wild coasts as you travel from Auckland to Christchurch (or reverse) over three weeks.View tour