Explore the Best of the North Island Highlights
Welcome to the 10 Day Northern Trail Haka Plus Tour!
From New Zealand’s biggest city to the nation’s lively capital, you’ll take in a whole host of North Island gems, enjoying cinemagraphic landscapes, spectacular coastal walks and geothermal wonders. We'll fill your days with highlights of the North Island and also give you a great insight into New Zealand life and culture.
Created for travellers in their mid-thirties and upwards, this North Island tour includes special activities such as walking to the spectacular and photogenic Cathedral Cove, a traditional Māori meal, and a walk amidst towering – and magically lit – treetops. You can also choose to select some tour add-ons such as hiking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing – otherwise known as Mordor, kayaking to a natural hot pool, visiting an off-shore eco-sanctuary, visiting Hobbiton, or flying above an active volcano!
You’ll have the chance to swim, kayak, skydive, hike, see kiwis, relax in hot pools, roll down a hill in a giant ball, eat and drink like a local, and more! This is your trip, and it’s designed to be flexible. The choice is yours – pick the activities that appeal to you.
At the end of the day, you can relax in comfortable 3–4 star accommodation to ensure you have a great night’s sleep ready for the following day’s activities.
On this tour between Wellington and Auckland, you’ll encounter an array of landscapes: lush, green rolling hills; beautiful golden sand beaches, tumbling waterfalls, geothermal valleys filled with bubbling mud and sulphuric lakes, magnificent mountains, cosy laid-back surf towns and vibrant cities. Prepare you camera and get ready to make some magical memories!
What's included on every Haka Plus tour:
- Passionate and knowledgeable local Kiwi guide
- Comfortable and air-conditioned bus transport
- Orientation tour of each and every location
- Small groups of maximum 16 people
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
- Stay each night in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
What's also included on this tour:
- Stay 9 nights in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, and lodges.
- Feast on 5 continental breakfasts and 2 dinners, including a traditional Māori hāngī cooked in an underground oven.
- Walk a stunning coastal track to Cathedral Cove (as seen in the Chronicles of Narnia movies).
- Watch a Māori cultural performance and check out a geothermal valley of bubbling mud pools including the famous Pōhutu Geyser in Rotorua.
- See endangered kiwi birds up close and personal.
- Soak up a sunset boat cruise in the West Coast surf town of Raglan – the fish and chips are on us!
- Brave the Redwoods Treewalk, crossing 23 raised suspension bridges.
- Hike through the forested gorge of Ruakuri (45 minutes) – bring your camera for this one.
- Stay in Tongariro National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Area.
- Plus, many more surprise stops along the way!
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
WHY CHOOSE HAKA PLUS?
Learn about the differences between this tour and our classic Adventure tours. Click here >
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 45 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 45 days before departure.
FAQ - Northern Trail
A sample platter of North and the South Island highlights including the Coromandel, Tongariro, Rotorua, Kaikoura & Christchurch.View tour
Visit Queenstown, Wanaka, glaciers & rainforests then see more of the South Island on the world famous TranzAlpine rail journey.View tour
New Zealand Uncovered
Uncover all the beauty, adventure, culture and fun activities of New Zealand and tick practically everything off your bucket list.View tour
You love our tours
Don’t give it a second thought- visit NZ and sign up for a Haka Tour!!! I just got back from the South Island Haka tour and definitely have to say it was one of the best vacations ever. Our tour guide, Baby J, was incredibly chill and organized. The trip was e...
My first solo trip was memorable thanks to haka tours. I went on the 16 day amplified tour with guide Baby J aka Andy. The inclusions were action packed from hiking to just chilling carving a jade pendant (actually a bit of a highlight). I didn’t do a lot of a...
Had an amazing time seeing snow for the first time and learning to snow board.our guide Mike was exceptional and very friendly.the highlight of the trip was learning about the Wanaka tree which is one of the great wonders of the world
LIFE ON THE PLUS SIDE
Want to be featured here? Simply tag your Insta pics with #hakatours