Haka Plus New Zealand South Island Itinerary 10 days
Fall in love with the highlights of this 10 day South Island itinerary that takes you on a circuit of spectacular mountains, lakes, rivers, glaciers, waterfalls and rainforests and gives you the opportunity to enjoy all the bucket list adventures you could wish for.
Created for travellers in their mid-thirties and upwards, on this New Zealand South Island itinerary you’ll visit Christchurch, Queenstown, Lake Wanaka, Lake Tekapo (and Lake Wakatipu, Lake Mapourika, Lake Hawea, plus more lakes!), the Mackenzie Country, and Franz Josef, plus you’ll get to take one of the world’s greatest train rides! Your comfortable 3–4 star accommodation on tour includes a boutique hotel, a rainforest retreat and even a night of ‘glamping’ on a historic deer station.
We’ll travel from the wide plains of Canterbury, through the mountains and lakes of Central Otago, to the glaciers and pristine rainforest of the West Coast via the spectacular Haast Pass. By the end of this New Zealand South Island itinerary, you will have lost count of the number of times you’ve uttered the words: “Wow!”, “So beautiful!” and “It’s breathtaking!”.
You’ll have the opportunity to swim, kayak, jet boat, skydive, hike, bike, horse ride, see kiwis, relax in hot pools, eat and drink like a local, and more.
But only if you want to; this is your trip, and it’s designed to be flexible. Across this 10 day South Island itinerary we include some of the things that we reckon are absolute essentials, but rather than force you into activities you’re not so sure of, we leave the choice up to you. You can pre-book activities that you definitely want to do before the trip starts, and then add more while you’re on tour.
One of the world’s most scenic Rail Journeys
Take in the stunning Southern Alps and the vast Canterbury Plains aboard the TranzAlpine train.
A Night of Glamping Under Southern Stars
Luxury camping experience on a historic farm surrounded by breathtaking scenery and enjoying high country hospitality.
Carve Your Own Greenstone/Pounamu Pendant
Learn about Māori culture as you carve your very own pounamu pendant - the perfect keepsake.
What's included on every Haka Plus tour:
- Passionate and knowledgeable local Kiwi guide
- Comfortable and air-conditioned bus transport
- Orientation tour of each and every location
- Small groups of maximum 16 people
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
- Stay each night in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
What's also included on this tour:
- Stay 9 nights in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
- Feast on 6 continental breakfasts and 2 dinners.
- Take in the stunning Southern Alps and the vast Canterbury Plains aboard the TranzAlpine, New Zealand’s finest inland rail journey.
- Spend one night glamping (luxury camping) on Criffel Station - a working deer farm.
- Cruise through Wanaka on a scenic e-bike (bicycle with electric motor) experience.
- Carve your own pounamu (jade) pendant in Franz Josef.
- Plus, many more surprise stops along the way!
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
WHY CHOOSE HAKA PLUS?
Learn about the differences between this tour and our classic Adventure tours. Click here >
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 45 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 45 days before departure.
FAQ - Southern Pioneer
A sample platter of North and the South Island highlights including the Coromandel, Tongariro, Rotorua, Kaikoura & Christchurch.View tour
Visit Queenstown, Wanaka, glaciers & rainforests then see more of the South Island on the world famous TranzAlpine rail journey.View tour
New Zealand Uncovered
Uncover all the beauty, adventure, culture and fun activities of New Zealand and tick practically everything off your bucket list.View tour
LIFE ON THE PLUS SIDE
Want to be featured here? Simply tag your Insta pics with #hakatours