Day 4: Raglan to Rotorua (via Waitomo and Matamata)
Our first stop of the day is the Waitomo Caves famous for its glow worms. There are fantastic and informative walking tours of the caves where you can learn more about the history, geology and Māori mythology of this unique area of New Zealand.
For those who prefer to stay above ground, we highly recommend exploring the tree-studded gorges and limestone arches of the nearby Ruakuri Forest Walk; definitely a favourite amongst the Haka guides.
The highlight of today is visiting one of NZ’s most iconic experiences - Hobbiton Movie Set. On a fully guided tour of the 12- acre Middle-earth set you will see Hobbit Holes, the Mill, and even enjoy a drink at the Green Dragon Inn!
This afternoon we’ll make our way to Rotorua, famous for its geothermal activity and Māori culture.
We start our time in Rotorua with The Redwoods Treewalk. This amazing included activity allows you to experience the majestic Redwood Forest from a series of suspension bridges and living decks (platforms), elevated from 9-metres to 12-metres at the highest point.
- Redwood Forest Canopy Walk
- Ruakuri Bush Walk
- Hobbiton Movie Set Tour
- Day 1: Auckland
- Day 2: Auckland to Coromandel
- Day 3: Coromandel to Raglan
- Day 4: Raglan to Rotorua (via Waitomo and Matamata)
- Day 5: Rotorua
- Day 6: Rotorua to Taupō
- Day 7: Taupō
- Day 8: Taupō to Wellington
- Day 9: Wellington
- Day 10: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 11: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 12: Christchurch to Ohau (via Lake Tekapo)
- Day 13: Ohau to Queenstown
- Day 14: Queenstown
- Day 15: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 16: Wanaka
- Day 17: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 18: Franz Josef
- Day 19: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 20: Christchurch