Day 6: Rotorua to National Park (via Taupō)
Rotorua is a spectacular whitewater rafting destination, and with expert guidance it can be experienced by first timers and pro-paddlers alike. For the ultimate thrill this morning you can raft the highest commercial waterfall drop in the world – the 7-metre Tutea Falls, on the Kaituna River.
If that’s not your cup of tea, spend the morning exploring Rotorua’s many attractions such as the ultra-relaxing Polynesian Spa, or perhaps the naturally-impressive Kuirau Park full of steaming, hissing and boiling geothermal pools.
There are also some fantastic cafes and bakeries in the area. Why not grab a sweet treat for the road – a ginger slice is as Kiwi as it gets!
From Rotorua it’s a quick drive to Taupō; a beautiful lakeside town with a stunning mountain backdrop. It’s a short drive but we’ll take our time, checking out bubbling mud pools and thundering waterfalls en route.
We finish our day nestled in Tongariro National Park, where we’ll spend the next 2 nights, home to one of the 10 best one-day walks in the world – the Tongariro Crossing.
Want to download the tour itinerary? click here
See Huka Falls
- Day 1: Auckland
- Day 2: Auckland to Coromandel
- Day 3: Coromandel to Raglan
- Day 4: Raglan to Rotorua (via Waitomo)
- Day 5: Rotorua
- Day 6: Rotorua to National Park (via Taupō)
- Day 7: National Park
- Day 8: National Park to Wellington
- Day 9: Wellington
- Day 10: Wellington to Kaikōura
- Day 11: Kaikōura to Christchurch
- Day 12: Christchurch to Ohau (via Lake Tekapo)
- Day 13: Ohau to Queenstown
- Day 14: Queenstown
- Day 15: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 16: Wanaka
- Day 17: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 18: Franz Josef
- Day 19: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 20: Christchurch (post tour debrief)