Day 11: Kaikōura to Wellington
The first part of the day is the stunning drive up the coast to Marlborough, the region at the top of the South Island. One of the best ways to explore Marlborough is with your tastebuds. So before heading on to Picton, there’s a crucial stop for a wine tasting, to sample some of the best vineyards in the country.
Today we say goodbye to the South Island and take one of the world’s most scenic ferry journeys as we cross the Cook Strait. It’s a stunning farewell – gliding through the Marlborough Sounds as we depart Picton Harbour, you’ll feel like you’re in another world.
And then… Wellington!
Perched on the edge of a spectacular harbour, encircled by green, towering hills, Wellington is a stunning and compact city. Vibrant, exciting and cultured, the nation’s capital combines the stimulation and sophistication of a big city with the quirkiness and personality of a much smaller town.
This evening, the city lights are yours to enjoy. Discover why Wellington is celebrated for its foodie culture – you are truly spoilt for dining choices tonight.
Wellington is also widely regarded as the craft beer capital of New Zealand. Want to test this for yourself? Talk to your Haka guide to find the hidden gems.
Cook Strait Ferry
Want to download the tour itinerary? click here
- Day 1: Christchurch
- Day 2: Christchurch to Ohau
- Day 3: Ohau to Queenstown
- Day 4: Queenstown
- Day 5: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 6: Wanaka
- Day 7: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 8: Franz Josef
- Day 9: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 10: Christchurch to Kaikōura
- Day 11: Kaikōura to Wellington
- Day 12: Wellington
- Day 13: Wellington to National Park
- Day 14: National Park
- Day 15: National Park to Rotorua (via Taupō)
- Day 16: Rotorua
- Day 17: Rotorua to Raglan (via Waitomo)
- Day 18: Raglan to Coromandel
- Day 19: Coromandel to Auckland
- Day 20: Auckland