Day 16: Rotorua
Rotorua has it all: natural beauty, unique geothermal landscapes, and iconic Lord of The Rings destinations. We stay here a full day to make the very most of it.
This area is world-renowned for its geothermal activity, with neon blue and red lakes, steaming rivers, violent geysers, and bubbling mud pools galore.
A visit to the picturesque Hobbiton movie set is a must-do activity for many. Even if you haven’t seen the films, it’s impossible not to be charmed by this gorgeous hobbit village set amongst the lush green hills of Matamata.
For a truly epic brush with nature, fly high through the lush ancient forest canopy on a zipline tour complete with swing bridges crossings and treetop platforms. What better way to get to know the native plants and birds – many of which unique to New Zealand.
This evening we are welcomed to a Māori village for an unmissable cultural experience featuring combat demonstrations and – of course – the breathtaking haka. This experience extends beyond the performance – you’ll have the chance to see magnificent geothermal activity and get to spot kiwi birds.
Dinner (a hangi cooked in an underground oven)
See the world famous haka dance
See the Pohutu Geyser
See kiwi birds
Want to download the tour itinerary? click here
- Day 1: Christchurch
- Day 2: Christchurch to Ohau
- Day 3: Ohau to Queenstown
- Day 4: Queenstown
- Day 5: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 6: Wanaka
- Day 7: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 8: Franz Josef
- Day 9: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 10: Christchurch to Kaikōura
- Day 11: Kaikōura to Wellington
- Day 12: Wellington
- Day 13: Wellington to National Park
- Day 14: National Park
- Day 15: National Park to Rotorua (via Taupō)
- Day 16: Rotorua
- Day 17: Rotorua to Raglan (via Waitomo)
- Day 18: Raglan to Coromandel
- Day 19: Coromandel to Auckland
- Day 20: Auckland