Day 8: Franz Josef
With Aoraki/Mount Cook (New Zealand’s highest mountain) twinkling behind the glaciers, Franz Josef is about as beautiful a setting as you can find in New Zealand.
Te Wahi Pounamu (which means ‘the place of greenstone’ in Māori) is the name given to this part of the West Coast because of the abundance of pounamu (greenstone/jade) to be found here. Included in your tour today is a special opportunity to carve your very own pounamu pendant at a local gallery.
There are heaps of ways to enjoy Franz Josef Glacier; weather permitting, to get up onto the bluest ice you can take a scenic helicopter flight and hike onto the glaciers. Maybe you’d prefer to kayak on a glacial lake; or just relax in the steamy hot springs down below.
As well as the awesome glacier activities, you could also try out quad biking, horseback riding and even a bit of group karaoke tonight in Franz Josef!
Greenstone pendant carving
Want to download the tour itinerary? click here
- Day 1: Christchurch
- Day 2: Christchurch to Ohau
- Day 3: Ohau to Queenstown
- Day 4: Queenstown
- Day 5: Queenstown to Wanaka
- Day 6: Wanaka
- Day 7: Wanaka to Franz Josef
- Day 8: Franz Josef
- Day 9: Franz Josef to Christchurch
- Day 10: Christchurch to Kaikōura
- Day 11: Kaikōura to Wellington
- Day 12: Wellington
- Day 13: Wellington to National Park
- Day 14: National Park
- Day 15: National Park to Rotorua (via Taupō)
- Day 16: Rotorua
- Day 17: Rotorua to Raglan (via Waitomo)
- Day 18: Raglan to Coromandel
- Day 19: Coromandel to Auckland
- Day 20: Auckland