New Zealand South Island Tour
If you only have a short time to explore the largest island of New Zealand, this is the tour for you! Prepare for seven days of spectacular scenery and lots of opportunity for adventure with this New Zealand South Island holiday package. Turquoise lakes, majestic glaciers, dramatic mountain peaks, golden tussock lands and the picture-perfect towns of Queenstown, Wanaka and Franz Josef are all on our week-long road trip!
This small-group guided tour of the South Island will visit Christchurch, Wanaka, Queenstown, Tekapo (an International Dark Sky Reserve), Franz Josef Glacier, and back across to Christchurch via Arthur’s Pass onboard the world-famous TranzAlpine train. You’ll have the option to visit Milford Sound, and we’ll stop at many other scenic spots along this South Island itinerary.
There’s a range of optional add-on activities: from adrenaline-pumping bucket-list items like bungee jumping, jet boating, and sky-diving to more gentle activities like heli-hiking (okay for all abilities), quad biking, kayaking, scenic flights and hiking. None of these are compulsory; just add the ones you want.
Accommodation is included on the last night of your New Zealand South Island tour, but we can also book a few extra nights for you if you would like to extend your stay.
South Island Lick Tour Tips:
Activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can't always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
As the tour starts early in the morning, you can opt to book accommodation in Christchurch with us the night before the tour – only having to walk downstairs on the day the tour starts makes for a stress-free morning!
The tour price includes dorm share accommodation (4–6 share) but if you would prefer your own space you have the option to upgrade to a private room. You can select this upgrade when you start building your tour online
What's included on every adventure tour:
- Small groups, up to 16 people
- Passionate Kiwi guides
- Comfortable bus transport
- High-end hostel accommodation
- Tasty continental breakfasts every day
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
What's also included on this tour:
- 7 nights in high-end hostel accommodation (dorm share as standard)
- Discover NZ's most spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Areas
- Journey through National Parks
- Cross the stunning Southern Alps on the TranzAlpine train
- Explore downtown Christchurch and see its inspiring regeneration since the 2011 quake
- Visit the tiny Church of the Good Shepherd, nestled by the shores of Lake Tekapo
- Unparalleled stargazing opportunities in Tekapo’s Dark Sky Reserve
- Visit the charming, historic gold rush village of Arrowtown
- Carve your own pounamu (greenstone/jade) pendant in Franz Josef
- Discover the beauty and history of pounamu in Hokitika, the greenstone capital of the country
- Plus many surprise stops along the way
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
South Island Lick Tour
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
ADVENTURE OR HAKA PLUS?
Learn about the differences between this tour and our premium Haka Plus tours. Click here >
GUEST REVIEWSBe the first to review this tour! Click here.
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 45 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 45 days before departure.
FAQ - South Island Lick Tour
North Island Adventure Tour
Enjoy adventure activities, incredible scenery and fascinating Māori culture as we show you the highlights between Auckland to Wellington.View tour
Amplified NZ Tour
Discover the best of the North and South Island. Tours run from Auckland to Christchurch, or Christchurch to Auckland.View tour
Backyard Beauties Tour
Starting and ending in Wellington, you'll explore the best of New Zealand as we travel though these Southern highlights including the West Coast & Queenstown’s adventure playground.View tour
TASTE THE ADVENTURE
Want to be featured here? Simply tag your Insta pics with #hakatours