One Week New Zealand North Island Itinerary
The North Island is filled with surprising contrasts: from the idyllic Coromandel where you can soak in a hot pool dug in the sand, venture through a geothermal wonderland of geysers, take a side-trip to Middle Earth-esque countryside, have underground adventures in caves lit by glow worms, and admire lush rainforests and even a volcanic desert – you’ll be amazed by it all.
This small-group guided New Zealand North Island tour will visit Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupō, and Wellington, with the option to visit Hobbiton, Waitomo Glowworm Caves and the Tongariro Crossing along the way. You can choose to travel from Auckland through to Wellington, or take the reverse itinerary.
As with all our tours, we do include a few 'must-do' events including a Māori cultural night and traditional Māori hāngī dinner cooked in an underground oven.
You’ll see a massive range of optional activities available to add to this New Zealand North Island tour package, from bungy jumping and white water rafting to canopy forest zipline tours and scenic flights. None of these are compulsory; just add the ones you want.
Accommodation is included on the last night of your New Zealand North Island trip, but we can also book a few extra nights for you if you would like to extend your stay.
North Island Tour Tips:
Activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can't always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
As the tour starts early in the morning, you can opt to book accommodation in Auckland or Wellington with us the night before the tour – only having to walk downstairs on the day the tour starts makes for a stress-free morning!
The tour price includes dorm share accommodation (4–6 share) but if you would prefer your own space you have the option to upgrade to a private room for the duration of your tour. You can select this upgrade when you start building your tour online. Please note: private room upgrades are not available for the one-night shared cultural experience (Murupara).
Experience the Pōhutu Geyser in Rotorua (Included)
The largest active geyser in the southern hemisphere erupts once or twice an hour!
Visit Cathedral Cove (Included)
This dreamy cove and surrounding marine area is pure scenic magic.
Learn about our unique Māori culture (Included)
Experience a living Māori village, learn the world-famous haka, and enjoy a traditional hāngi dinner.
What's included on every adventure tour:
- Small groups, up to 16 people
- Passionate Kiwi guides
- Comfortable bus transport
- High-end hostel accommodation
- Tasty continental breakfasts every day
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
What's also included on this tour:
- 6 nights in high-end hostel accommodation (dorm share as standard) and 1 night shared cultural experience
- Journey through multiple National Parks
- Stunning walk to the spectacular arched cavern of Coromandel’s Cathedral Cove
- Learn a haka and learn to weave flax with a local iwi (tribe)
- Visit Te Puia – a local arts and culture centre – to learn more about traditional Māori culture and discover Rotorua’s geothermal wonders.
- See kiwi birds up close and personal
- Eat a traditional Māori hāngī meal cooked in an underground oven
- Follow your nose to Rotorua’s bubbling mud pools
- Discover what makes Huka Falls the most visited natural attraction in NZ
- Check out the views from Matairangi/Mount Victoria, Wellington
- Fall in love with Wellington’s cafe and craft beer culture
- Plus many surprise stops along the way
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
North Island Adventure Tour
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
ADVENTURE OR HAKA PLUS?
Learn about the differences between this tour and our premium Haka Plus tours. Click here >
GUEST REVIEWSBe the first to review this tour! Click here.
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 45 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 45 days before departure.
FAQ - North Island Adventure Tour
South Island Lick Tour
A week with wow factor! Tick off iconic South Island destinations with unbeatable scenery and a large dose of adventure.View tour
Amplified NZ Tour
Discover the best of the North and South Island. Tours run from Auckland to Christchurch, or Christchurch to Auckland.View tour
Backyard Beauties Tour
Starting and ending in Wellington, you'll explore the best of New Zealand as we travel though these Southern highlights including the West Coast & Queenstown’s adventure playground.View tour
TASTE THE ADVENTURE
Want to be featured here? Simply tag your Insta pics with #hakatours