South Island 11-day winter itinerary
New Zealand, Aotearoa is a year-round destination. This tour is designed to showcase New Zealand's culture, flora and fauna, wildlife, museums and activities offered during the winter season.
Being run outside the main tourist summer season you will enjoy New Zealand as the locals do, with less traffic on the streets and more time and tranquility. From the cityscapes of Christchurch to the grandeur of the Southern Alps in the south you can expect to enjoy all types of weather in this journey of a lifetime.
This stunning 11-day itinerary features some of Aotearoa New Zealand's more celebrated destinations such as our Scottish Capital - Dunedin, the eighth wonder of the world – Milford Sound, adventure-capital Queenstown, glacier country of Franz Josef and so much more!
Your days will be filled with a mixture of included and optional activities and at the end of each day you can relax in 3-4* Kiwi accommodation.
Please note that owing to the time of year, some included activities are subject to change. We will endeavor to incorporate a suitable replacement should this happen.
Be prepared to be awe-struck on this small group journey of New Zealand!
Read more about why travelling in winter is a great idea.
Southern Wonders Tour Tips:
- Optional activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can't always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
- The tour price includes twin/double-share accommodation but if you would prefer your own space, you have the option to upgrade to a private room for the duration of your tour (subject to availability).
Overnight stay in NZ’s only castle
Stay in the Larnach Castle in Dunedin, where you’ll enjoy the stunning gardens, dinner and surrounds.
Cruise Lake Mapourika
Cruise Lake Mapourika, with exclusive access to a private rainforest trail through the captivating Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary.
Milford Sound Cruise
Explore the “8th Wonder of the World”, Milford Sound, where you’ll sail beneath thundering waterfalls and towering cliff faces.
What's included on every winter tour:
- Small groups, up to 14 people
- Passionate Kiwi guides
- Comfortable bus transport
- 3-4* hotel accommodation
- Tasty continental breakfasts every day
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
What's also included on this tour:
- Small groups – max 14 guests
- 10 nights in twin-share accommodation in 3-4* hotels
- Daily breakfast (cooked or continental)
- Dinners x 4
- 2x airport transfer shuttles (non-exclusive shuttle bus)
- Cross the stunning Southern Alps on the TranzAlpine train*
- Gin Tasting at an artisanal distillery (also carbon-neutral)
- Become immersed in local Māori culture at Pounamu Pathways
- Cruise Lake Mapourika, with exclusive access to a private rainforest trail through the captivating Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary.
- Explore the “8th Wonder of the World”, Milford Sound Cruise, where you’ll sail beneath thundering waterfalls and towering cliff faces
- Visit Oamaru’s Steampunk Museum – where interactive art comes to life.
*Please note that the TranzAlpine unfortunately will not be running on all departures. Where this is the case, you will instead continue to the West Coast in the vehicle with your guide. If your departure does not include the TranzAlpine Train then you will have an included cruise and dinner in Queenstown on board the TSS Earnslaw.
ENHANCE YOUR TRIP WITH ADD-ON ACTIVITIES AND UPGRADES
Your tour includes all the essentials but you can add extra wow-factor to your tour by adding on the activities and accommodation upgrades that suit you best.
Optional activities you can add to this trip at checkout:
- Price from (NZD)
- Deposit only
Only $99 to secure your seat unless you book within 60 days of departure. Once your spot is booked, you can log in and customise your tour with any extra experiences or activities up to 60 days before departure.
FAQ - Southern Wonders
New Zealand Winter Wonders
Discover the best of New Zealand in the quieter season and marvel at the stunning scenery with snow-capped mountains. Tours run from Auckland to Christchurch, or Christchurch to Auckland.View tour
South Island Snow Safari
All abilities are welcome on our one-week snow tour that takes you to the top ski & snowboard locations on six mountains.View tour
Discover the best of New Zealand's North Island in the quieter season and marvel at the stunning scenery and abundant wildlife. Tours run from Auckland to Christchurch, or Christchurch to Auckland.View tour